Sunday, July 20, 2008

Christine Pelosi Can Be My Campaign Drill Sergeant Any Day

Indication #472 that I might, in fact, have metamorphosed into the biggest nerd I know:

When Christine Pelosi comes to visit the Campaign Academy on Friday, sharing stories of conscience, conflict, and public policy, I become convinced over the course of an hour that she is the coolest person on the face of the earth.

Seriously, though, I challenge the internet to come to a different conclusion. We're talking about a lady willing to give us the downlow on what it takes to be a politician (complete belief in your cause, willingness to sacrifice wedding anniversaries for house parties and minor injuries), how to deal with being right but not being able to do anything about it ("I told you so" is not a policy, unless you have younger siblings), and the appropriate application of grandmothers to the political process (making phone calls and bickering over the nationalities of your constituents).

"She's so practical!" I gushed to fellow interns, who had by then politely moved on to the next speaker. It is moments like these-- when data entry makes me giddy, when I breathlessly exclaim to Howard Dean that his new voter registration strategies are "so statistically significant," when Scroll Down, Vote for Andy Brown strikes me as the epitome of cleverness-- that make me realize just how sad a place my brain has become.

But never mind all that. CHRISTINE PELOSI.

Not only does she have her very own Wikipedia entry and comprise approximately 20% of our blog's readership (the other 80% being me, Emily, Grant, and people hitting "I'm Feeling Lucky" on Google), but Pelosi served as John Tierney's chief of staff, has written a book called Campaign Boot Camp that is surprisingly not a biography of Mark Strama, and IS A SUPERDELEGATE. DID YOU KNOW THAT? She can also stop bullets. With her mind.

If you don't believe me, check Wikipedia. Hint hint.

No comments: